The Sun-Dried Tomato Powder is made from a special tomato variety grown across Turkey's Aegean Sea coastline. Sun-dried tomatoes are a natural source of umami, and this tomato powder adds a bump of rich savory tanginess.
Sauté the powder with aromatics like onions or garlic, use as a garnish on roasted vegetables or add to rubs for grilled meats.
"[I'll use] Burlap and Barrel’s when I’m looking to add complexity and acidity. It’s more of a special occasion sort of deal, reserved for garnishes and final flourishes." Sarah Jampel, Highly Recommended by Bon Appetit
- Origin: Aegean Region, Turkey
- Process: Sun-dried & ground
Ingredients: 100% sun-dried tomato, ground (Lycopersicon esculentum, Mill.)
- Tasting notes: Herb garden • Umami bomb
- Coat veggies in olive oil and toss, add to meat rubs and stews
- Sauté with onions, garlic or mirepoix (cut onions, celery and carrots)
- Sprinkle over sliced tomatoes (trust us), focaccias and pizzas
These tomatoes are grown by a network of smallholder farmers in the Aegean region in Turkey. The tomatoes are picked from the field, washed, sliced in half, then laid out to dry in the sun on wide sheets, where they lose up to 95% of their weight.
Fun fact: These tomatoes aren't as sweet as the tomatoes that you'd typically pick up at the market. There's a good reason for that: the sweeter tomatoes produce a clumpy, sticky powder, while these have a tangy kick that's easy to sprinkle on any dish.